Narrative Essay Topics
The content for a Narrative Essay, which tells a story, or a narrative, usually comes from the student-writer’s personal experience. It requires them to tell a true short story of sorts, with an introduction, setting, characters, plot, climax and a conclusion.
The Narrative Essay focuses around the student-writers conveying something important and universally relevant to their reader – such as how they learned a valuable lesson, gained a lifelong friend, or traveled to and learned from another culture, for example.
Want to make sure your essay is flawless? Have one of our ABCessays editors review your paper.
List of Topics for a Narrative Essay
When given a Narrative Essay writing assignment, the student-writer may want to write about:
- An experience in which they learned a valuable life lesson, perhaps one which they will be able to share with others because it could ultimately help them.
- How they struck up a strong relationship, either with a friend or intimate companion, and how it has helped them grow as a person.
- The first family trip they remember taking as a young child.
- The first time they left their culture and traveled to another, the essay also including what they ultimately learned about the human experience or about their own culture.
- A time they were scared to do something, but somehow had the courage to finish the task successfully.
- How they learned what they wanted to be in life, what vocation they felt they were supposed to do, what experience or experiences led to them understanding this.
- Their first day of their very first job, what is was like, what they were expecting, and how it possibly changed them; what they gained from it.
- A frightening experience, one in which they were, maybe, scared for their life or for the life of others.
- A specific holiday memory, good or bad, one that left an enduring impression on them.
- Their earliest childhood memory.
- A time when they surprised someone with a special ability, talent or skill.
- A time when they first realized they wanted to be something great, like a professional athlete, musician, actor, writer, etc., and how that happened and how it made them feel while pursuing it.
- A normal day in their life of someone, from the time they wake in the morning, to the time they go to bed a night, and everything that happens in between.
- An experience that made them stronger or better, and possibly why it happened and why it was important in their life.
- A childhood memory, one that, perhaps, reminds them of the important things in life, like family, friends and accomplishments.
- The most memorable experience in education, whether good or bad.
- A moment, or experience, when their perspective changed for the better.
- When they did something they still regret.
- A time when they had to learn something new but were ultimately afraid of failure.
- A celebratory event, perhaps one that changed them.
Hard to decide which topic to choose? You can request help here and our writers will assist you in writing a narrative essay.