What Is an Argumentative Essay
An argumentative essay is a type of essay, which centers on a narrowed, asserted thesis statement that argues for one side of a debatable issue. It’s very similar to the persuasive and five-paragraph essays because it involves the student-writer ultimately making a point, an argument – hence the name of the essay type – they will be defending throughout their essay.
Most times, the hardest part of writing the argumentative essay is finding a topic, issue or piece of literature to write about, expound on and argue.
Since the argumentative essay calls for the student-writer to take one side of something and defend it thoroughly, it generally helps when they have an idea of what kinds of issues are worth arguing over, which are topical and important and relevant.
It may serve them best to think of the argumentative essay assignment as a debate with their classmates. Only, in this case, they have to make a solid, well-defended argument in written form.
45 Best Argumentative Essay Topics
- Abortion should be banned
- Where should the line be drawn regarding gun rights? Should a line be drawn at all?
- Is vegetarianism a healthy lifestyle?
- Should talking on the phone while driving be against the law?
- Can long-distance relationships work and become a success?
- Should women be allowed to be in the military?
- Are men superior to women?
- Is it necessary to have censorship on the Internet?
- Are new technologies a good thing?
- Is being an artist considered a real career in a Capitalistic society?
- What does it mean to happy?
- What does it mean to be successful?
- Is Facebook the great invention or does it signify the end of privacy?
- Is Social Media making face-to-face interaction less of a priority?
- Is it beneficial to students if they are all required to dress in uniform?
- Is hunting or fishing bad for the environment?
- At what age does a person become an adult? Or does age matter in this case?
- What is the ideal age for a woman to become a mother?
- Which is better for a child: being raised in a small or a large family?
- Should advertising for alcohol and tobacco be outlawed?
- Is education the most important step in the development of a country?
- Should animals be kept in zoos?
- Should Science find a way for humans to live forever, or to at least be living much longer lives than they are meant to?
- Sex and violence on TV define person's behavior
- Is Global Warming a myth or a reality?
- Is Capital Punishment a thing of the past? Are there better alternatives?
- Are Human Rights overrated and therefore unimportant?
- Is Democracy the only successful form of government?
- Same-sex marriage should be banned
- Should felons be allowed to vote?
- What is the minimum age that people should be allowed to vote?
- Is fast food a good thing only in moderation?
- Is having a university or college degree an integral part of a person’s success?
- Should military service be compulsory for most countries?
- Were there any benefits to America’s Prohibition during the 1920s?
- Does money make people happy?
- Is suicide always an act of cowardice and selfishness?
- At what age should people move out of their parents’ home and start their lives?
- Does personal success depend on his/her social status?
- Are men more capable of success than women? Or vice versa?
- Can men and women together have long-lasting platonic relationships?
- Should a person always pursue a career they are passionate about?
- Do violent video games encourage real-life violence?
- Are people becoming too dependent on technology?
- Should citizens be allowed to carry weapons in their everyday lives?
If you are looking for argumentative essay examples here is a great one below
As you see, there are many thought-provoking and disputable topics to choose from. Keep in mind that it is easier to write about the topics you know much about.
Have an idea for your argumentative essay but cannot find the right words to express it? Feel free to contact our writers, they'll help you to win in whatever you're debating. Just place an order right now and get your professionally-written essay in time.